PRO1159270762 Senior AIX Engineer
- Ad Placed : 31 Jul 2019 02:59:09
- Remuneration : PER MONTH
- Employment Type : Full Time
- Industry : General Employment
- Region : Gauteng / Johannesburg / Sandton
- Company : PM Connection
Other General Employment
To provide technical leadership, planning, design, 2nd, and 3rd line support in the applicable technology to the company and its respective clients to ensure SLAs and contractual obligations are met and maintained.
Description of responsibilities:
• Design, plan, and implement technical solutions, including HA and DR solutions in the AIX space according to best practices for optimal system functionality.
• Participate in projects and audits as subject matter experts in the AIX space to ensure technically sound and efficient implementations when required.
• Provide technical leadership, support and guidance to junior personnel, architecture teams, pre-sales, security, and business development teams to ensure skills growth and knowledge sharing within the Company.
• Provide expert troubleshooting and fault finding as part of escalation process on problems that cannot be resolved by the junior teams.
• Ensure standard and best practise compliance by performing regular audits of the AIX installation base.
• Document and maintain standards, technical procedures, operational procedures for current installations with relevant system reporting where required to ensure SLAs are maintained.
• Perform system performance monitoring and tuning, capacity management, upgrades, patching, and technology level updates to maintain system availability, compliance and security according to the relevant best practices and SLAs.
• Develop and maintain complex shell scripting (CL programs for iSeries) for automation, backup, security, reporting, monitoring and job scheduling where required to improve productivity within the company.
• Provide technical support required on a 24/7 basis on a standby basis to ensure continuous operations and to meet and maintain contractual SLA agreements.
Qualifications and experience required:
• Matric (Essential)
• International certification in UNIX or iSeries (recommended)
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in system administration
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in logical partitioning
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in High Availability planning, implementation, testing and maintenance
• Proven track record in a production environment with operational experience in installations, maintenance, trouble shooting, recovery and upgrades
• Proven track record of successful experience in DR recovery and testing exercises
• Minimum 3 years shell scripting (CL programming in iSeries) experience
• AIX operating system administration
• AIX user administration
• AIX planning, installation, configuration, patching, and upgrades
• AIX operating system monitoring, maintenance and advanced troubleshooting
• AIX performance tuning and capacity management
• AIX security configuration, management and auditing
• TCP/IP network configuration and troubleshooting
• AIX storage configuration and troubleshooting
• Knowledge of basic SAN/NAS storage connectivity
• Cluster / HA design, planning and implementation
• Shell scripting (UNIX) CL programming (iSeries)
• Basic database and application understanding
• Virtualization planning, installation, maintenance and configuration
• Knowledge of ITIL concepts such as Change Management, Incident Management, Problem Management, etc.
• Job scheduling, management, and monitoring utilizing the system supplied toolsets (not 3rd party tools such as CA-7, etc.)
• System backup and recovery, e.g. ignite tapes, mksysb, BRMS, etc.
• Knowledge of rapid system deployment tools, e.g. Network Installation Manager (NIM), etc.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Lateral thinking skills; Interface with vendors and third-party suppliers on a regular basis
• Ability to find information and to filter and interpret from the internet and relevant supplier websites, e.g. Redbooks, white papers, etc.
• Maintain a close working relationship with architecture, security, business development teams
• Technical leadership and coaching skills
• Report writing and technical feedback abilities
• Problem root cause analysis and reporting
• Ability to document policies, operational procedures and standards
• Organizational skills and the ability to manage a diversified workload
• Ability to both work individually as part of a multi-functional team
• Inter-personal skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, clients, management and other IT staff
• Project management skills
• Ability to explain technical terms and concepts to non-technical people
• Presentation skills
• Deciding and Initiating Action
• Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
• Applying Expertise and Technology
• Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
• Planning and Organising
• Relating and Networking
• Learning and Researching
• Creating and Innovating
• Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
• Leading and Supervising
Kindly regard your application as unsuccessful if you have not heard from the agency within 2 weeks.
To apply for this vacancy please access this job advert on a desktop computer.
Apply for other Jobs on Job Mail.