Counsellor (S/Based HIV & GBV Prev/Programme) RHI
- Ad Placed : 25 Nov 2019 23:30:03 Affiliate ad
- Remuneration : PER YEAR
- Employment Type : Full Time
- Employment Level : Senior Management
- Industry : Medical
- Region : Mpumalanga
- Company : AJ Personnel
A Counsellor (School Based HIV/GBV Prevention Programme) vacancy is available at our Client Wits Health Consortium's Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (RHI) in the Chief Albert Luthuli District in Mpumalanga.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a leading research institute attached to the University of the Witwatersrand. We address some of the greatest public health concerns affecting the region, including HIV, sexual and reproductive health, and vaccinology. We do this through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders. Our Key Populations Programme seeks a Technical Advisor to join our senior leadership team.
Main purpose of the job
- To provide holistic counselling and testing to adolescent, caregivers and adults with regards to testing, disclosure, adherence, treatment and psychosocial support related to HIV
- Mpumalanga (Chief Albert Luthuli)
Key performance areas
- Develop and assist with implementation of support groups, wellness programmes
- Provide support to peer educators and other counsellors (in community organisations or on outreach teams) regarding counselling guidelines, wellness programmes and support groups as and when required
- Provide HIV and sexual reproductive health information to patients and caregivers that include but are not limited to adherence, ARVs, nutrition, PMTCT, hygiene, infant feeding
- Provide pre- and post-testing counselling, one-on-one and with groups
- Provide counselling regarding patient disclosure
- Provide individualised support for patients newly diagnosed with HIV, including follow up contact through phone calls or SMS
- Ensure patients newly diagnosed with HIV are linked to ART services and initiated on ART
- Ensure patients testing negative for HIV are linked to prevention services
- Assist clients with making appointments for first or follow up visits
- Follow up to ensure clients attend their scheduled appointments
- Assist with the identification of clients who require social grants as a result of their personal circumstances
- Facilitate linkages between facilities and DSD, and support access to social grants and social support services in the community
- Facilitate linkages for OVC between facilities and the community (NGOs, CBOs etc.)
- Identify community structures to provide ongoing support to patients and facilitate linkages to these as required
- Strengthen linkages and referrals between clinics, schools and community structures for children and adolescents
- In collaboration with WBOT teams and outreach team, follow up with patients who have defaulted by missing scheduled visits or non-adherence
- Participate in health promotion campaigns, including holiday programmes and youth events. These will occasionally occur on the weekend.
- Distribute condoms and IEC material within the facility and community
- Recruit clients for HIV counselling and testing in the community and at the facility
- Motivate individuals and groups to bring their partners and children for HIV testing
- Submit accurate and timeous data on activities undertaken
- Compile reports of the relevant programme activities conducted (Analyse information recorded when necessary)
- Capture learner/patient information in patient files and/or on the relevant database
- Assist with research-related activities as and when required
Required minimum education and training
- Grade 12
- Accredited certificate in basic counselling and HIV
Required minimum work experience
- 12 months’ experience in HIV counselling and testing
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Working Fluency in more than one African language that is commonly spoken and written in Gauteng (Tswana, Sotho and Zulu)
- Experience with adolescent HIV counselling
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work towards deadlines
- Be a team player. Have good time management skills
- Have done previous work in the community and know the area well
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
The closing date for all applications is 25 November 2019.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
SCAM ALERT - PLEASE BE AWARE! NOT AJ PERSONNEL OR ANY REPUTABLE AGENCY NOR ANY CLIENT WILL ASK MONEY FOR INTERVIEWS. NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY INTERVIEWS OR OFFERING YOU A JOB!!! - DON'T BE SCAMMED!!!
To apply for this vacancy please access this job advert on a desktop computer.
Apply for other Jobs on Job Mail.