MSc Degree Training (NICD)
- Ad Placed : 08 Nov 2019 23:30:03 Affiliate ad
- Remuneration : PER YEAR
- Employment Type : Contract
- Employment Level : Senior Management
- Industry : Medical
- Region : Gauteng
- Company : AJ Personnel
MSc Degree Training vacancies are available at our Client Wits Health Consortium's National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) in Johannesburg, in conjunction with the University of Pittsburgh in the USA.
Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (“WHC“) is a wholly owned Company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (South Africa) under its Faculty of Health Sciences. WHC provides Faculty with a legal framework within which to operate the research and other activities necessary to support its academic objectives. In addition WHC offers a range of products and services to the Academics conducting these activities in order to assist with the management thereof.
The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) is a major global player in infectious disease intelligence. The NICD is a source of knowledge and expertise in regionally relevant communicable diseases to the South African Government, SADC countries and the African continent. The NICD assists in the planning of policies and programmes and support appropriate responses to communicable disease problems and issues.
South Africa-Pittsburgh Public Health Genomic Epidemiology Research Training Program (SAPPHGenE)
National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), Johannesburg, South Africa
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, USA
APPLICATIONS FOR MSC DEGREE TRAINING
- The Centre for Respiratory Diseases and Meningitis (CRDM) and Centre for Healthcare-Associated infections, Antimicrobial Resistance and Mycoses (CHARM) at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) have recently been awarded a five-year grant (2019-2023), funded by the United States (US) National Institutes of Health (NIH) Fogarty International Center
- The programme directors are Dr Anne von Gottberg, Section Lead of the laboratory of the CRDM, and Dr Lee Harrison, Professor of Epidemiology and Medicine and the head of the Microbial Genomic Epidemiology Laboratory at University of Pittsburgh
Aim of the program:
- The South Africa-Pitt Public Health Genomic Epidemiology Training Program (SAPPHGenE) aims to provide South African investigators with multidisciplinary tools needed to conduct cutting-edge research in public health genomics
- The main focus is research on epidemiology and genomic epidemiology of bacterial causes of pneumonia, other respiratory diseases, and invasive bacterial and fungal diseases, including antimicrobial-resistant pathogens
- The program will provide a combination of non-degree and post-graduate degree training by a multidisciplinary group of experienced mentors at University of Pittsburgh, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and NICD
- Trainees will have access to research training opportunities and resources available at the training sites
SAPPHGenE Internal Scientific Committee: Mignon du Plessis, Nelesh Govender, Lee Harrison, Anne von Gottberg
SAPPHGenE External Training Advisory Committee: Duncan MacCannell, Penny Moore, Alison Morris, Mark Nicol, Rob Warren
You are invited to apply should you be in possession of a BSc Hons degree or high likelihood of obtaining one by the end of 2019, to join us to complete an MSc (full time), registered at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg with primary supervisors/mentors located at the NICD (CRDM or CHARM). Co-mentors will be located in the US and it is expected that recipients will travel to the US for part of their training.
- Exceptional academic performance
- Candidate’s motivation letter
- Strong letters of recommendation and support (e.g., from previous tutors, supervisors or managers)
- Stated commitment to pursue SAPPHGenE research
- Highlight likely contributions to research in South Africa
We are offering funds for:
- Non-taxable payment (~R170,000.00 for MSc students)
- Tuition fees and university registration
- Laptop computer with relevant software
For international training opportunities:
- All travel expenses (e.g., airfare, visa, incidentals)
- Non-taxable payment for living expenses and insurance
- Administrative support for visas
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 08 November 2019.
Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
SCAM ALERT - PLEASE BE AWARE! NOT AJ PERSONNEL OR ANY REPUTABLE AGENCY NOR ANY CLIENT WILL ASK MONEY FOR INTERVIEWS. NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY INTERVIEWS OR OFFERING YOU A JOB!!! - DON'T BE SCAMMED!!!
To apply for this vacancy please access this job advert on a desktop computer.
Apply for other Jobs on Job Mail.